Orford has the advantage of being between the Coal River Valley and Freycinet wine regions, which has more than enough wineries to satisfy any wine lover. The Freycinet Region produces some of Australia’s best cool climate wines. The Coal River region boasts some fantastic wineries and cellar doors with award winning restaurants. Both regions are less than an hour from Orford.
There are a number of wineries between Orford and Coles Bay. Follow the East Coast Wine Route north starting at Orford:
1. Darlington Vineyard – Holkham Ct., Orford
2. The Bend Vineyard – Swansea
3. Milton Vineyard – 14635 Tasman Highway, Cranbrook
4. Spring Vale Vineyards – 130 Spring Vale Rd, Cranbrook
5. Gala Estate – 14891 Tasman Highway, Cranbrook
6. Craigie Knowe Vineyard – 80 Glen Gala Road, Cranbrook
7. Devil’s Corner Cellar Door & Lookout – Sherbourne Rd, Apslawn
8. Freycinet Vineyard – 15919 Tasman Highway, Bicheno
9. Boomer Creek Vineyard – Little Swanport (by appointment only)
Our local winery, Darlington Vineyards, is a mere 1 kilometre from Orford Sanda House and is open most days for sampling and purchase. You are more than welcome to purchase a wine at Darlington and then bring it back to enjoy on our porch taking in views of the gardens.